Thursday, July 7, 2011

Where I'm From



I am from small towns and churches and farmland.

I am from cornfields that stretch on forever; from sniffing Great Grandma's flowers; from cold water and warm earth and muddy toes dug into Great Grandpa's vegetable garden.

I am from an even smaller, back-woods town, from logging and hard times, from alcohol and apple pie.

From the bonny hills of Scotland, from porridge and scones and scotch and tea time.

I am from many moves, many times, many homes, many schools, many fresh starts that felt stale and awkward and uncomfortable and lonely.

I am from Dairy Queen ice cream birthday cakes and unspoken love.

From 97% scores on math tests, "Where's the other 3%?" and never being enough.

I am from stubbornness and grudge-holding, from being mad so long, anger loses all meaning and transgressions are forgotten, but rifts remain.

I am from a long line of child abuse that ended a generation ago and statutory rape and teen pregnancy.

From "you're the oldest: you should know better" and "set an example" and "go to your room"; from yelling and silent treatment, but never hitting.

I am from swinging my feet while church members sang, looking around at women's hats, not comprehending what I was witnessing.

I am from photo albums dusty from lack of attention, of carefully written descriptors long forgotten, of faces no longer recognized.




I've read a few posts this week that use Fred First Floyd's form prompt and really enjoyed them. If you would like to do the same, link up on Schmutzie's blog. Pin It

10 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing where you're from. I'm so glad From Tracie shared it and I found yours through her... bless you. I can't read these without tears.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are from lovely, is what you are from.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love 'fresh starts that felt stale' . Great writing, I love this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So, so beautiful, thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I couldn't get this out of my mind, and had to do one of my own. 
    http://www.fromtracie.com/2011/07/where-im-from.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. you're incredible. pure and simple

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've seen so many versions of this essay. I like yours a lot. This - 'from cold water and warm earth and muddy toes dug into Great Grandpa's vegetable garden...' reminds me of summers spent with my grandparents. 

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've never heard of this prompt before, but I am loving it's deep simplicity.

    I feel like I just took a peek into your attic of memories. It was powerful.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow. That is very powerful. I'm sure it will resonate with many, myself included.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is beautiful - raw and real - all at the same time.  I'm going to look into this Schmutzie's blog. 

    ReplyDelete

Real Time Analytics